One of the things I am really keen on doing this year is to improve my workflow / development process. I have a very “make it up as I go along” approach to building a website (as demonstrated by my live dev ;)) which I think is fine for personal projects sometimes, but when you’re developing for clients the lack of planning and due process can cause massive headaches. What did the client want on page X, can anyone find the todo list I wrote for page Y, etc. I also find that because I only dabble with version control, there are problems with versions and multiple contributors overwriting things etc.
I have it in my head that I need to do something like this:
- Plan out requirements with client
- Set out clear sitemap including what is required from multi-step pages (like basket->checkout->success/fail) … wireframes?
- Set up project version control
- Actually commit (pun!) to using version control
- Make website
- Have a proper testing/staging process
- Do proper tests
- Go live!
- Post-project review
But what I really need is peer feedback – because otherwise I’m going to to end up making this up as I go along too – there’s no point jumping from a lack of process to a made up process that doesn’t work. So what’s your “process”?