I think I’ve probably mentioned before that I get a lot of PR / “blogger outreach” emails. There’s something about having squeezed a baby out of your nethers that makes companies think you’re happy to hawk their wares.
Most of these mails go straight to the bin. Either they’re generic “hi pls link our product” spam from a mass mail program or are from an agency that has picked my email from a list of mommy bloggers and hasn’t bothered to read my contact / PR page (it’s always obvious).
Rarely though do I get mails which, on the surface seem OK, but scratch away a little and you can see that they’re actually bloody awful. Case in point:
Let’s count the ways in which this fails:
- Misspelled my name – probably my biggest pet peeve (but at least they didn’t call me Jim…)
- Address from “Sandra” but mail headers say it’s from Ivan
- Empty compliments – since when has my site been approachable? People are usually complaining that my tagline puts them off!
- Bollocks about loving giveaways. I think I’ve done 2 over here?
- Wrong niche – I talk about parenting and household stuff primarily, not BS nutritional supplements
- Wrong side of the planet – why is a US based company wanting a UK based mum to promote them?
Blogger outreach. Is it really that hard to get it right?