By which I obviously mean nursery, but that doesn’t sound as alliteration-y.
All being well, I finish work to start my maternity leave for beansprout on the 24th May. The first week or so is holiday allowance, weekends and bank holiday which should tide me over until 6th June (unless I give birth before then, in which case my maternity leave automatically starts).
Anyway, so the current question on my mind is… what do I do with Isabel?
In the ideal crunchy world, she would be removed from nursery (which we have no choice but to use as working parents) and thus at home with me in “SAHM” glory. However, this idea presents several potential issues:
- The early days of nursing are hard enough work without a toddler underfoot
- Isabel enjoys nursery now and frequently asks to go in on Fridays (our day off)
- There would be no guarantee we’d be able to secure her a place when I inevitably go back after leave with #2
- If removed, all her friends will be a year older when she needs to start again, and she’d have to reintegrate with carers and children
Conversely, if we leave her in, we have to contend with:
- The financial burden of childcare on only one and a little bit salary (Karl’s + statutory maternity pay, which you only get for 9 months anyway); childcare is our biggest expense at over £100 more than the mortgage per month
- The question of how many days we send her in for… she won’t need to go for the full 4, but again if we reduce down too far the nursery will not be able to guarantee a full placement again after a year
- The ridiculous judgement of those mums who think that daycare and/or working is for common folk who don’t love their children (and the inevitable guilt it will bring me even when I pretend I don’t care)
Tough choices to make.